This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can't log into HMRC website

Beethov1
Can't log into HMRC website

Postby Beethov1 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:14 pm

I recently had an e mail from HMRC saying they had written a letter and to log onto my account to view it. Does not look phishing as no link or request for personal info etc. I have just retired so my tax position is changing. I have no idea of any password or account number as I have been paying tax via PAYE and last did a tax return and logged on about ten years ago. I went onto their site and requested lost account and password option. It sent a link to the e mail address but when I enter that it says the e mail address is not recognised and I can get no further. The help on the site doesn't seem to cover this and on the phone I just get pre recorded messages directing me to the same webpage. When I last dealt with HMRC it was by normal letter so I am not sure any e mail address is formally logged with them. Not sure how they got my email address at all.Has anyone any suggestions what to do next. Thanks.

pawncob

Re: Can't log into HMRC website

Postby pawncob » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:54 am

Write to HMRc and request that all correspondence be by mail.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”