This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on gift

roythegrass
Tax on gift

Postby roythegrass » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:34 pm

If I wish to gift a large amount of money to a friend I believe this will be subject to a sliding scale of tax over 7 years if the payer dies within this period.Who pays the tax the payer or payee? What's the name of this tax and can anyone direct me to a link showing the rules. Thanks. ( This has nothing to do with inheritance.)

maths

Re: Tax on gift

Postby maths » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:42 pm

For IHT, lifetime gifts between two individuals are "potentially exempt transfers) [PETS] and an IHT liability o ly arises if donor dies within 7 years. If death occurs then the donee is responsible for any IHT payable.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:39 pm

Contrary to appearances, the sliding scale is really irrelevant except in relation to very large gifts (i.e. cumulative gifts in excess of £325,000/£650,000 over the seven year period prior to death).

Before that, the gifts just absorb the donor's nil rate band.

This means that, although the donee is meant to be liable for the tax on gifts, it actually increases the tax on the estate (rather than the donee) until you have exceeded those thresholds.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:03 pm

Contrary to appearances, the sliding scale is really irrelevant except in relation to very large gifts (i.e. cumulative gifts in excess of £325,000/£650,000 over the seven year period prior to death).

Before that, the gifts just absorb the donor's nil rate band.

This means that, although the donee is meant to be liable for the tax on gifts, it actually increases the tax on the estate (rather than the donee) until you have exceeded those thresholds.

Return to “General”