This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When a laser print is not capital expenditure ...

markusuk

Postby markusuk » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:15 pm

Greetings all..

I wish to purchase a laser printer for my part time sole trader consultancy. I need this colour laser printer for a specific purpose and it costs about £250. I comes with consumables.

Not the cost of replacement of the consumables (5 toners) is £300 (thats how they make them so cheap!). With technology moving in I might well scrap the printer and just buy another one when the toner runs out for the first time. On that basis and given the cost of the consumables, can I realistically treat the printer 'as a consumable' and not capital expenditure. Obviously this just comes off gross profit rather than dealing with first year allowances etc...

cheers

Mark

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:25 am

Strictly speaking, the printer should be classified as capital expenditure and a claim made for capital allowances which would be 50% in the first year (for 2004/05). You do have the option of capitalising it as a short-life asset and then you would get the full allowance when you scrapped the item.

Given the small amount involved, I would not envisage a problem in including this as a consumable item in your accounts if you did scrap the item within 1 year.

You should be aware that the Revenue may challenge this treatment if they were to enquire into your accounts, particularly if it were bought shortly before your financial year end.

I hope you have found this information useful.

Dean Shepherd MAAT ATT BSc
taxhelp@mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “General”