This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rent Arrear Chasing

vinodkumar

Postby vinodkumar » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:57 am

Dear forum
I wonder if anyone can help me on this one.

I have let my property through a letting agent (A Ltd Co) who in turn have sublet it to a local council as per the tenancy agreement. (tenancy agreement has not been signed though).The council religiously pays the rent to my agent but my Agent has not paid me the rent (after his mgt charges) for the last 3 months. The Agent is a Ltd Co and having checked the Co House record they have not submitted any Accounts for last 4 yrs & has 2 unsatisified CCJs against it. The Co has not been struck off the register as well.
The Co. director is deliberately holding back the rent and does not allow me to talk to anyone else in his office. Whilst I know that I will be able to obtain possession of the property owing to non pymt of rent I just wondered if it will work to sue the Co (or otherwise) for non pymt of arrears and next say couple of months rent. Can I write to trading standards, write an article in the local paper, go to watchdog?
The director has already dissolved about 5 Co in the past and is still trading albeit under different names. I am not the only one in this situation with this Co. The agents have done it to others as well but others are not too supportive and have resigned themselves to cutting their losses. For me it is a question of principle.
i am at my wits end and it is beginning to affect me now.
Any suggestions/links/gudance will be most helpful.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:01 am

How can you say that you will be able to obtain possession of the property owing to non-payment of rent? The rent has already been paid to your appointed agents.

I think you should do all you mention in your query but first and foremost, speak to the council and arrange for the rent payments to be paid directly to you. If they say that the agreement is with the agent, say that the rent is in arrears and therefore you wish to repossess the property.

The council may even be able to claw back the unpaid rent from any other monies due by them to the agent.

Ramnik

Return to “General”