This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Credits Claim

vinodkumar

Postby vinodkumar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:32 am

Dear readers
I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have on tax credits.
I have a client who made a tax loss of about £30000 for the y/e 5.4.04 as a self employed person. On the other hand the client's wife earned a salary of around £13000 in the same year. After seeking advise from the tax credit helpline over the phone the wife completed the forms and showed her income at £13000 and nil for her husband and on this basis the claim was assessed.
We now find having read the explanatory notes that the loss for the husband could have been used to set off against wife's salary resulting in nil income for both husband & wife for that year. On this basis my client has requested appeals form so that they can receive the extra tax credit for 2004. The problem is that the date for revision has since gone (31.01.05).
My question to the readers is will the fact that incorrect phone advise given by TC helpline constitute valid grounds for previous understatement of claim? I wonder if anyone else has received incorrect advise and submitted incorrect figures on this basis and then successfully reversed the wrong decision.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mister E

Postby Mister E » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:27 am

I would say give it a go and make a claim.

The revision date has passed but with all the problems the tax credits system is having a claim for incorrect advice given may be successful. Your client has nothing to lose.

By the way I have not come across any such cases so far.

Return to “General”