This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS4 (t) doubt

mase

Postby mase » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:43 am

3 yrs ago i was in london and ask for a CIS card to work as carpenteer helper.
after i had received the card, i had some problem in my home country (italy) so i couldn't look for a job and i had to left the UK.
Since i left the uk i didn't received mail or any news from inland revenue.
Now, i want to now if my position is regular or if is supposed that i have to pay some kind of taxes, also if i didn't work in Great Britain.
I know that this can be a silly question ...sorry for my "not so good english"
Hope to have an answer to my doubt.
Thanks

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:20 am

If you didn't earn anything there is no tax to pay. However, if you registered as a subcontractor, I imagine that the Inland Revenue would have issued you with Self Assessment tax returns for two (or possibly three years). If these were not completed, they will have imposed penalties and interest. You should contact the Inland Revenue and explain the position to them. They will probably ask you to complete tax returns showing nil income. If you also submit a written request for any penalties to be cancelled, there is every liklihood that they will be, leaving you with nothing to pay.

John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
(01509) 416549
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “General”