This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

non British national and Tax situation

nicolas.henry1@btope

Postby nicolas.henry1@btope » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:19 pm

I am from Belgium but have worked in the UK for over 3 years now and obviously paid tax.
i read in a newspaper that non British citizans could have tax advantages? I know that when i worked in france before i was exempt but assumed that with the EU this had changed as my employer advised me in France and here they haven't.
Is this correct and what would the steps be?

Hope someone can help with this question

thanks and regards

Nicolas

EXPATAX@BLUEYONDER.C

Postby EXPATAX@BLUEYONDER.C » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:04 am

Individuals from overseas working in the UK with an intention of remaining here for less than 3 years do receive tax breks in respect of non UK workdays.

Once you have been here more than three years the way to reduce your UK exposure on non UK workdays is to have 2 contracts of employment. One with a UK company for UK duties the other, seperate and distince contract, for non UK duties. In this scenario the non UK contract is taxed on a "remittance" basis.

Your non UK investment income and capital gains is also taxed on a remittance basis whilst you are considered non UK domiciled.

Return to “Income Tax”