This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Living abroad but working in the UK

Resipol

Postby Resipol » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:02 pm

Good evening,

I live in NE Thailand and commute to the UK every two weeks to work. I am a UK citizen and work on a North Sea Oil Production Platform 50 miles east of the Shetlands. I am also a UK property owner. My partner is Thai and we have two young children. I enter Thailand on a Non-Resident Visa category 'O'. My question is - Do I qualify for any reduction in tax given that I spend very little time in the UK, for example, I have only stayed at my home in the UK for approximately 14 days since December 2002. I would really appreciate some advice as any reduction in tax liability would greatly assist with my excessive airfares every month. Thank you.

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:01 am

In general if you are an oil worker in United Kingdom designated area of the Continental Shelf, you would be treated as liable to UK tax, however I believe this has no effect on residence.

Therefore you may be treated as non-resident for the UK, and due refunds of income tax.

If you would like me to do some digging for you, and try to secure a refund, please let me know. I can work on a fixed fee or shared savings basis for this type of work.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Resipol

Postby Resipol » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:57 pm

Hi James,

Thank you very much for the information it is much appreciated. As I am on an information gathering exercise at the moment, I would like some time before I actually decide to use the services of an accountant. Thank you once again.

Regards
Daniel

Return to “Income Tax”