This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employed & employee

cyrus

Postby cyrus » Sun May 28, 2006 7:04 am

I am a postgrad student at The University of Birmingham and I found a part-time job for a company as an IT consultant. That job required me to register as self-employed (I only work for the company when there are available projects and also do similar consultancy work for a couple of other companies on a per-project basis). I registered as self-employed in February this year.

However I am also working for the university as a lab assistant. I have not claimed any money from the university since the 1th of January, so I havenÂ’t received any money for the current tax year yet. In order to claim the money for the work I did the past term, I have to submit a P46 form for the current tax year.
As I am also self-employed what do I have to tick on the P46 form? Last year I ticked the "This is my only or main job", but this year this is not exactly true. The money I will receive from the university combined with the money from self-employment for the current tax year (until April 2007) are expected to be less than the £5K threshold.

Thank you for any replies.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Tue May 30, 2006 12:14 am

Tick the box saying this is your only or main job.

You will only be taxed unduly otherwise.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”