This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

offshore employment

ISSA

Postby ISSA » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:31 pm

I am working offshore oil rig,I am not UK resident, I just work for company who have just office in UK,
I dont have any connections with the UK in any way, but I still paying tax from my salary.
Do I have right to get back that tax and how ?

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:29 pm

This is not simple and the first thing you need to know is where for tax purposes you are resident for tax purposes. Assuming the rig is more than twelve miles from the UK, then it will not be in the UK and yo ushould not be liable for UK tax.

simon.sweetman@btinternet.com

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:22 am

You may of course be liable for tax in another country. Where is the rig? Do you work on a rotation basis?

ISSA

Postby ISSA » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:51 am

Yes I work on rotation basis,and the tax deduction is already done on my monthly salaries,I cant avoid that,but as I am from Croatia and I am only working on the rig which is american but the office is in Scotland and I the rig in North Sea,it must be some way to get back that tax on the end of the year how is in my country

kirstie.williamson@a

Postby kirstie.williamson@a » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 am

Where do you go on your days off ? Do you return to Croatia or do you live somewhere else ?
It sounds as though your employer should be operating an NT code ( No tax) for you. However, you are likely to be liable to tax on the income in your country of residence.
You would need to apply to the UK Inland Revenue to obtain an NT code. What code is being applied at present and how was it obtained ? Your employer should have completed a form P46 for you; if not you may be paying tax at the basic rate (code BR). You should speak to your payroll department too.

KW

ISSA

Postby ISSA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:46 am

Yes now I am looking at the pay list,the TAX code is BR,on my vacation I am going back to Croatia,
every month I spent only one night in hotel in UK
because of the airline arrangaments.However thank you for your response

Return to “Income Tax”