This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Training Deduction

Fly Through

Postby Fly Through » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:14 am

Having been outside the country for a number of years I was required to under go a refresher course and testing before I could resume work in the UK (I'm an Air Traffic Controller). Would I be able to claim the costs of the course back & how would I go about this?

Thanks for your help.
Chris

claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 am

The short answer is no. A deduction can only be given for expenses that are incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the duties" of the employment.

When you are training, you are not doing the work of controlling air traffic so the expenses is not one that you incur in the performance of the duties. Training costs merely help someone get in a position to do the job. Sorry.

Return to “Income Tax”