This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

wifes unused allowance

Johnjames

Postby Johnjames » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:31 am

My wife became a british citizen last Nov but has been in the UK for over 3 years prior to that. She does not work but does have some money invested in her name and has elected to receive the interest untaxed and she has received her interest untaxed. She does not have an NI number.

I'm filling in my tax form, using taxcalc, and note that 15.6 asks if I want my wifes unused allowance. Sure I do if I can as I pay some tax at 40%.

How is this done? how do they know what the unused allowance is if she is not known to the IR?

What will happen..will she have to fill in a tax return?

Appreciate any help..thanks

adelante

Postby adelante » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm

I dont know what the program is showing you but you CANNOT use your wifes unused allowance to reduce your tax bill.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Call your loacal tax office and expalin the proplem they can register your wife with a Tax reference number and will either deal with the NI number or refer you to Medical and Pensions department to obtain a numer. The IR will issue a tax return to your wife. Regards Peter

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Yes I remeber now this stopped some time ago so I guess he is using an old version of taxcalc I refer the OP to http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa100.pdf
which may clarify the situation.

Regards Peter

kirstie.williamson@a

Postby kirstie.williamson@a » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:07 am

This question relates to unused married couple's allowance and blind person's allowance. You shouyld ignore this question unless you are entitled to claim either of the above. Note : MPA is only availble if either spouse was born before 6 April 1935.

KW

Johnjames

Postby Johnjames » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks to all

SORRY I made a mistake its the section which deals with Transfer of Surplus Allowance..it say read page 29 of your tax guide..which I don't have..

16.15 says.. Tick box 16.15 if you want your spouse's or civil parteners unused allowance
and
16;17 says enter the amount of surplus you can have if you want to calc your own tax..by the way its Taxcalc 2006 I'm using

Thanks

Return to “Income Tax”