This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Secondary job in CIS

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Postby chantellehastie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:23 am

I have a full time job earning 30,000 basic and 2,200 allowance per annum. I am looking at doing a project for my brothers construction company that he owns. I would have to register with a CIS card and pay the £2.10 per week for being self employed. If the job is worth around £40,000 and i want to split the work and payment between this financial year and next year, approx how much tax will i have to pay on this second job? i.e. will this take me into the 40% tax bracket making me pay huge amounts of tax?

Peter D
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:30 am

As it is now the 1st of March how much are you goint to recieve this FY. You have 1 month 5 days. If it all came into 07/08 then you are looking at a £20K tax bill, £13.5K of which is at 40% on a straight tax calculation. Regards Peter
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 am

Daily apportionment of income if you prepare one set of accounts. You may be able to prepare accounts to the end of the tax year and apportion on the basis of the % of the contract complete. This may of course be just splitting hairs. You will presumably be on a CIS4 and so some of the income will be taxed at 18% (20% from April'07) at source with the balance paid by January 2008 and January 2009. There may be some tax savings or tax planning opportunities in trading as a limited company but you would need some proper advice before going down that somewhat complicated route.

Return to “Income Tax”