This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What happens to my DOM1 when I have sent it in?

medman

Postby medman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 am

Can anyone tell me what happens to my DOM1 form when I send it in, as I am claiming non-dom on a remittance basis. I have had it checked and prepared by a professional (Tax & Estate Planning Associate in a bank). Some people say you send it in and they accept it, as they cannot disprove your non-dom. Others say they write back confirming your non-dom status and are in effect giving you a ruling. Any experiences that can shed light are appreciated?

Cheers

DOn

adi36

Postby adi36 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 am

Hi
Well in my experience the Revenue will not give binding rulings from DOM1's as peoples circumstances/intent changes. It's up to the individual to make sure they fulfill non-domicile status and moniter it carefully. Regards Adrian S

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 am

Well - HMRCs manuals say they will give rulings, and in my experience (and I have obtained dozens) they still do.

You should also note that a helpline on domicile is available under the so-called tax amnesty.

They key point here is neither the form DOM1 or the ruling but how your RETURNS are filed.

You should obtain advice from either a CTA Chartered Accountant on this issue (you do not state what professional qualifications were held by the bank employee).

medman

Postby medman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 am

He has A.C.I.B and T.E.P. bare in mind I do not know what that means, as I am not a tax professional. I am PAYE and and receive no tax return. The HMRC are penal on people with overseas interests!!!

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:52 pm

His qualifications are sound. You need to ask if he can:
1. Obtain a ruling, and
2. Advise on completing your tax returns.

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 pm

No Client should be submitting a DOM1 directly themselves!

Proper professional advice from a real Domicile expert will include detailed written legal advice on your Domicile.

This must include submission of the form and corresponding with HMRC to get a ruling and tax planning advice.

An adviser will only be able to get a ruling, if you have income or gains at stake.

Best to get proper advice from a real Domicile tax expert!

Strategic Tax Planning
info@stratax.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”