This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

casual work taxation

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Postby leverwilliam » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:13 am


I currently have a full time job earning £21'000 as a surveyor. I have been offered some further work with another consultancy at £20 per hour for surveys and wish to take this extra work on.

I presume i have to register as self employed and pay the NI/PAYE contributions at the end of the tax year? I expect to earn no more than £1500 extra per year if that.

Also my colleague may help me with surveys and i expect her to only help me for 3 hours at a time earning £60, will she also need to register as self employed? She will eran no more than about £180 extra for the year.

Any help gratefully accepted.


Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Postby taxattack » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:16 am

Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Postby Herbs16 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:18 am

Any problems just email and I will get you up and running-no charge.

half scrummy
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Postby half scrummy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:31 pm

I presume that your colleague will be paid by you, rather than directly by the client, so you need to protect yourself from the Revenue treating her as your employee. The only way to protect yourself properly is to enter into a contract with her to provide self employed services. Even though the figures are expected to be relatively small, it is worth investing time now in getting the contract right at the outset, as it could save you a small fortune in the future.

A self employed contract would also be wise between you and your clients to preserve your status and to protect your clients from a Revenue attack on their treatment of you.

Return to “Income Tax”