This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Patnership Return -Box 4.74

saineegan

Postby saineegan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am

I have just completed my first Partnership (Short)Return but am stuck as to what box 4.74 means .

Am I correct in putting my income tax due from my share of the partnership profit in this box, as Box 4.74 says Share of Income Tax taken off partnership income? If I am not right in thinking my income tax due goes in here can you provide a simple explanation as to what this box means. Also someone mentioned that my income tax due on my share of the partnership profit does not go on the partnership Return at all but in box 18.3 of the personal return?

I'm very grateful if someone can confrim this and thank you for all your help

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:30 am

Hi again saineegan.

Presuming you only have partnership trading income (no interest received) then this box will be Nil.

If you have entered a figure in this box in error then all you need to do is write to the inland revenue and ask them to amend this box to Nil.

If the partnership did have interest receveived then the gross interest (your share only) would go in box 4.70 and the tax deducted would go in box 4.74.

The notes to the return can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa104-notes.pdf

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Box 18.3 is where you show the total tax due for the year - which will include tax due on the partnership profit.

Box 4.74 relates to tax deducted at source from interest received on money in the partnership bank account, and NOT tax due on the partnership share of profit.

I suppose to the uninitiated the wording on the return could possibly confuse.

Look at the notes (from the link above) a little way down the right hand column on page 5 to see what should go in 4.70 & 4.74

saineegan

Postby saineegan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:08 am

Many thanks to both Robbob and Al_eebee . I understand where I have gone wrong now and will inform the inland revenue.

Return to “Income Tax”