This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Goodwill & tax relief

Razor

Postby Razor » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:16 am

I have been paid off by the post office to close my business. The sum was £30,000 tax free plus a years salary of £37,000. I have £55,000 goodwill on my balance sheet from my purchase of the business. Can I set the salary off against goodwill to create a loss?

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:09 am

No. Goodwill is an asset of the business, salary is income. It may be possible to claim a loss on the goodwill by writing it off completely (as the value now is clearly NIL). The 'salary' may be offsetable against such a loss dependent on whether this is actually a salary or a different type of payment and depends on how this salary was treated in previous years.

I don't deal with any sub-postmasters so can't give any further guidance here.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Income Tax”