This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rent a room
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Postby » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 am

If I go to Europe for a year, and have a person taking over my room in my flat - can I use the rent-a-room allowance for them? (I am the owner and would still be around occassionally, weekends, a week here, a week there etc)

Additionally, if the answer is no, can I offset anything they pay against my personal allowance? - assuming its not used elsewhere.

If the answer was yes, can my personal allowance be used on top of the rent-a-room limit it they pay over £80 a week?

Just want to work out how much I can get, before I need to declare it.


Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Postby TAX SOLUTION » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 am

Hi shawn,
You will be consider as UK resident as you said half year you will spend in uk and half in Europe.
so you can claim personal allownace and can claim rent-a-room relief as well.
I dnt know about your domicile status,if you are UK domicile then you have to pay tax on worldwide income.
if you will get £ 80/week then its free of tax as tax free up to £4,250/year.


Peter D
Posts: 10668
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am

You have to be a resident landlord for Rent a Room to apply. If you are to become a non earner in the UK then your 5225 allowance will cover the £80 a week. Have you considered renting the whole flat out for a years and offset you mortgage interest and loads of other costs. Regards Peter

Peter D
Posts: 10668
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 am

Hi Amjad, I did not read the posting to imply they would be home for 1/2 the time. An odd week and a few weekends does not crack it with HMRC. Regards Peter

Return to “Income Tax”