This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non Resident termination payment

taxbill

Postby taxbill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:49 am

Leasing client of mine has worked abroad for over 5 years as a UK non resident employed by a UK company.
He is now leaving the company and will receive a 6 month termination payment. Are there any Uk tax implications.
In other words would the revenue consider this payment as work undertaken wholly outside the uk and not subject to UK tax or not?
Hope someone has come across this before.
Bill

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Terminatio payments are taxable on a worldwide basis subject however to foreign service relief.

He shoul be directing this point at his solicitor who is handling the compromise agreement.

There may well also be tax or reporting obligation overseas.

Return to “Income Tax”