This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

School fees

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Postby Herbs16 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:16 am

I run a Ltd company, can i claim relief for school fees either personally or through the company. The school is a registered charity.
Can anyone help please?

Steve McClaren
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Postby Steve McClaren » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:02 am

You can also email the answers to this and the many other questions Herbs16 has at

as she is an accountant not a tax payer.

can the Mods please stop people from pretending to ask advice in order to pass that on to others whom they bill out to!!!!!

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Postby Sofia1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:29 pm

As a governor of a leading Glasgow independent school the answer is a resounding 'No'. You can of course make a donation to the school through a business, and offset that against corporation tax, as it is a charity. But you cannot then use that donation as a way of avoiding paying school fees, which are net of tax.

Return to “Income Tax”