This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

reclaiming income tax as an employee now I'm self-employed

lamagia

Postby lamagia » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:17 pm

I paid PAYE up until 30 April, then started a sole trader business on 1 May. How do I account for that month when I was an employee, when I'm running my business year from 1 May? Can I reclaim the tax paid as an employee now?

Huw Williams

Postby Huw Williams » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:32 am

It all comes out when you fill in your self-assessment return after next April. There are separate pages to enter employment income (and tax paid) and self-employed income.

A tax return should be issued to you automatically provided you have registered with the Revenue as self-employed for tax purposes. But make sure you have also registered for national insurance purposes (for a £2 flat rate contribution each week) or you could end up with a penalty.

Huw Williams
217 Musters Road
West Bridgford
Nottingham
NG2 7DT

0115 914 6846

enquiries@huwwilliams.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”