This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is it taxable?
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 am

Is a payment to a tenant (residential) to give up their protected status and move out of the property taxable income?

I'm thinking not but not 100% sure. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Postby iandouglas » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:01 am

The HMRC normal view is that everythings taxable!

Its clearly not taxable as income. I would have thought that if asked HMRC would view it as a disposal of a capital asset & hence subject to CGT.

Do you really want to ask?
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 am

I suppose I'd like to know the answer:)

Return to “Income Tax”