This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaring myself as non-dom

pawelx

Postby pawelx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:58 am

I have posted similar question as part of an old thread before, so please excuse double-posting.
I have been in the UK for 2.5 years, don't own property here, was born to parents who were not UK citizens and I am not a UK citizen myself.

(1) Just to clarify on the "claiming remittance" part, is this something that I do at the _end_ of the tax year?
So the scenario would be: I open my offshore savings account this week, but only when I need to fill out the self-assessment for 2008 (i.e. early 2009) will I need to declare myself as non-dom - correct? And it is indeed only a matter of ticking some boxes on self-assessment to declare myself non-dom (this is what you refer to as "claiming remittance"?).

(2) In one of my previous posts someone suggested that I will lose allowances if I declare myself non-dom. Am I correct in thinking that it is only the annual personal allowance on £5435 of my income (not counting the CGT allowance) so I stand to lose 18% of 5435 = 978£ if I declare myself non-dom?

Thank you for your help and answers.

pawelx

Postby pawelx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 am

Correction I think it is 22% of £ 5,435 i.e. losing £ 1,196 in lost allowance.

Return to “Income Tax”