This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax on compensation payment

trickey

Postby trickey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:36 am

My wife worked for the local council before being outsourced under TUPE to a private company.
About 12 staff put in a claim through the trade union for 6 years unpaid shift allowance,
the council agreed that they should have paid the staff the shift allowance. But the employer did not want to pay the full amount to the 12 staff. In discussion with the union and employer an agreement was made that the they would pay the staff some of the backdated shift pay and worked out a deal that if they did not go to a tribunal they would pay them about three years shift allownace a compensation payment tax free. The trade union said this would be the best deal they could get for the staff.

1, Could this payment really be tax free?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:31 pm

It seems like earning to me, so it's taxable. The fact that it's paid late doesn't change its status.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”