This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company Mileage Expenses (Private Car) Advice Please?

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Postby RK76 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:27 am

Hello. I am new to this forum so i hope someone will be able to assist me with some basic tax advice.

I am currently working for an IT Consultancy firm based just outside London. My role is a field based role, i often spend 75%-90% of my time at our client sites, which are located in and around London. The job is a higher rate tax basic salary with a £450pcm gross car allowance.

My company pay 20 pence per mile for business mileage. I am currently doing between 10-15k business miles per year.

Due to the amount i travel, and the rarety that i am in the office my manager has agreed that i will now be based permanently based from home. I will have to travel to the office weekly for meetings but generally i wont work there.

I have been told that i can change my default location with the inland revenue, so that i can claim mileage expenses from home to wherever i am working. Is this correct? Does anyone have a link to a good but readable (in plain english) guide to the rules associated with this and what i would have to do to change etc?

I would appreciate any advice, as i am fairly new to this game, and dont want to lose out.



Bob Jones
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Postby Bob Jones » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi Richard

You can claim home to site anyway - being based at home would enable you to claim home to office but HMRC are taking a strict view ont his these days - there has to be an objective reason requiring you to work at home and nowhere else before you can claim home as your place of work ...


Return to “Income Tax”