This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Lodger Arrangements

gunshow

Postby gunshow » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:39 am

A friend of mine lives on his own and pays his own mortgage.

A friend of his has recently seperated from his partner and is 'Temporarily' staying with said friend.

As the two are good friends no formal rent is being charged. However, I believe that the lodger is making contributions to the weekly food shop.

How does this setup stack up from a rental income perspective?

Thanks in advance.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 pm

He is not a lodger, he is a guest. He is only covering the food bill not parts of the mortgage and house running costs. Would you put up a nnedy friend for a while ???. If the house owner wanted to he could accept him as a Rent a Room lodger and be tax exempt to £4,250 of rent any way. Do you have a problem with him staying there or something. Regards Peter

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Doesn't sound as if any rent is actually paid. Anyway, the lodger rules allow £4250 p.a. so it probably isn't necessary to declare it.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

gunshow

Postby gunshow » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks for your swift responses guys.

Reason I ask is that the friend in question has just gone self employed and I wanted to make sure he didnt have to declare any of it - no underhand motives!!.

Cheers

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:45 am

Hi gun

I would advise your friend he should be a little bit careful that he itemises any funds received from his friend that he uses to put in the bank or pay bills.

If the tax man comes along at a later date and finds cash amounts being banked or spent that are non business assets then he may presume that these amounts are additional cash sales if there is no evidence to prove otherwise.

Caro

Postby Caro » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:00 am

Is the government rent a room scheme allowance a per person tax saving? So for example if my partner and I have two rooms available in our jointly owned home, can we each use our £4250 allowance?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 am

Sorry, Caro, if you both claim the allowance, it's limited to £2125 each.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”