This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

losses after bankruptcy

razer

Postby razer » Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 am

My dad had a business with two partners which made losses of £100K and was then made bankrupt. He then went into the same business two months later on his own and made a decent profit in his first twelve months. Is he able to offset the losses made in the year he went bankrupt against teh profit of the new business.

Daniya

Postby Daniya » Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 am

The initial answer to your question would be to say NO!

However you state your father was made Bankrupt, can you tell me how long this Bankruptcy last, before I can difinitively say yes OR NO.!
Also was any official receiver involved?
I may be wrong but reading between the lines I do not think he was made bankrupt in the legal sense.

Rana

razer

Postby razer » Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 am

Dad was made definitely made personally bankrupt but was given receivers blessing to restart in business. I have read some sections on HMRC website which suggest that losses would be allowable. Am I wrong?

Daniya

Postby Daniya » Thu May 29, 2008 3:11 am

No, not in your father situation. Answer is NO!

Return to “Income Tax”