This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non dom resident

pjbp

Postby pjbp » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:16 pm

I am a nondom resident in the UK for over 8 years now. If i remit interest from an offshore savings account to UK is that treated as income or capital?? Do i have to pay income tax in the UK over that interest??

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:44 am

In a word, yes. Money remitted from an offshore account is regarded as interest first and is taxable whether you are looking at the new rules or the old ones.

pjbp

Postby pjbp » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Thank you for the answer! But what is regarded as remittance of capital then?? Will this also be taxed as income??

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:05 pm

No, and unless there are underlying capital gains there would be no tax at all. But the remittance is regarded as income up to the total of income received in the account overall.

Return to “Income Tax”