This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Account closure penalty

Geoff Smith

Postby Geoff Smith » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Last year I closed a building society account. In July 2007 interest of around £5,000 was credited with £1,000 deducted for tax.

When I closed the account in August 2007, a negative interest amount was put on the account (around £500) but no mention of tax. This was a penalty charge for closing the account early.

I am now completing my tax return - do I enter £5,000 interest or just the £4,500?

Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

(If the tax is due on £5,000 I wonder if the account was closed a couple of months earlier and the closing interest was reduced to reflect the penalty, this would have been to my benefit...)

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm

I fear that the penalty for early closure is quite separate from the interest - it is seen as a capital payment. So the £5000 goes on the return.

Return to “Income Tax”