This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Query Non UK resident

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Tax Query Non UK resident

Postby sideep » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 am

I am a resident of India, and have been sent by my Indian firm to work in London for a period of 6months.

I have a UK bank account opened wherin I receive my salary.
I would be returning back to India on January 06 2009.
My earnings through salary for a period of six months would be 6000 Pounds.

Besides this I have also managed winnnings of around 5000 Pounds through online soprts betting.

I want to know how much tax would be applicable to me and whom/where and how do I pay the taxes.

I would be very grateful for your advice.


Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Tax Query Non UK resident

Postby JSK TAXATION » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:21 am


The issue really depends on exactly how long your secondment to the UK is for. If it is for less than 183 days, then the income derived will remain taxable in India and you will be treated under HMRC's Appendix 4 procedures in the UK (short term visitors) i.e. not taxable. If the secondment is for greater than 183 days then the position is different.

Visit the following link which should help, but if not then let me know.

As regards gambling winnings, generally they are not taxable in the UK, althougth there are occasions when HMRC would treat the activity as trading.

Without knowing the full facts I would suggest that based purely on the amounts involved, they would not be taxable in this case.

Kind regards.
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
01732 897850

Return to “Income Tax”