This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offshore Bank Account in Isle of Man or Jersey

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:54 am

Being from New Zealand (working in the UK), I have duly registered DOM1 and P86 forms with the UK Inland Revenue informing them I am still of New Zealand Domicile. This means I do not need to declare any income earnt overseas (i.e. Bank Interest back in NZ) and there is no UK tax liability on this as long as I do not remit this overseas income to the UK.

I have an INGDirect account here paying 4.3% interest which I have to pay tax on. Can I open an offshore account in Jersey/Isle of Man where I can invest my savings, earn the interest gross (as all interest is paid gross for these offshore accounts via most high street banks)...

Now the question is - as I am not UK Domiciled, do I need to declare this income to the UK tax department on my Self Assesment? - If not, would I be correct in being able to transfer all the money to New Zealand when the exchange rate is favorable (thereby not remitting it to the UK).

No need to worry about local NZ Tax laws - before leaving NZ for a long time you let the NZ IRD know and become a non NZ Tax resident.

Thanks.

Return to “Income Tax”