This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Photography - Hobby or more??

wrdmrn
Photography - Hobby or more??

Postby wrdmrn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 am

I’m looking for a straight forward answer, in the last year I’ve become very very interested in photography and over the past 6 months have been slowly building up a portfolio. I am in full time employment and I make my PAYE and NI contributions through my salary.

My dilemma, I used facebook to find volunteers thinking I’d only get a few but I’ve ended up with 20+, I am happy to do some for free but the more and more that are coming I feel that I’m been taken for a ride a bit and I’d like to charge a small amount (£40) to people who are new to asking, mostly for the time I spend taking the shots and all the time I spend post processing (anything upto 2 weeks) and providing all the final set of photos on CD/DVD. I have the potential to earn £160 from this by the start of November.

I’m not running self employed or as a business (part time, mostly weekends) as yet, this is something I would like to do hopefully in later part of 2011. What steps do I need to take for these small potential earnings to ensure that I don’t end up in trouble with HMRC??

Budget83

Re: Photography - Hobby or more??

Postby Budget83 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 am

The answer is not simple normally on these subjects and you have to make the final decision as you know yours aims.

If this was part of a bigger business plan then yes you need to register as self employed and go from there. You have 3 months to register after that their are fines involved.

If you intend to stay employed and this is going to be a few one offs then I would say it was a hobby and no declaration is needed.

Return to “Income Tax”