This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax owed and joing accout

DAVIDS3511
Tax owed and joing accout

Postby DAVIDS3511 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:42 pm

I am a sole trader who receives payment mostly by cheques for small amounts. I have always paid these into a joint account with my partner whom has her own full time job and bank account. I use the joint account because I was in an IVA when I started and the bank wouldn't give me an account of my own.

I am now about to go bankrupt and tax on my sole trader business will be part of the bankrupcy. Can they go after her for the tax as it was paid into a joint account. I though I had everythning under control until my accountant mentioned this as a possibility which has scared me.

section 44

Re: Tax owed and joing accout

Postby section 44 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am

Was the business actually your business? That is, you didn't hold the business via a wholly-owned company?

Your wife is not liable for your debts (including tax).

Return to “Income Tax”