This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax return

riccardob
tax return

Postby riccardob » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi,

For someone that earns 30k a year on a payee basis how much extra can he earn before having to pay 40% tax, for example through rental income?

I am confused by the allowance concept. Someone told me you can earn up to 42500 but I read that 35k is the treshold for 40% tax.

many thanks

mullet

Re: tax return

Postby mullet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 am

The higher rate threshold is £35,000, but that is taxable income. So add the personal allowance (tax free amount) £7,475 and the total you can earn (aged under 65) before paying higher rate tax is indeed £42,475. Remember that taxable employment income is all money etc (salary, expenses/benefits) less allowable expenses. Don't forget to take account of any investment income.

Return to “Income Tax”