This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

07 Tax Return

npjames
07 Tax Return

Postby npjames » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 am

Hi,

I currently live in Australia. I was going through old paperwork and discovered an old P45 form from way back in 2007/2008. I only worked for about 4 months, earning 3300 pounds and getting taxed 299. I left the UK shortly thereafter. I'm a Australian citizen however at the time I was travelling on a british passport for a working holiday.

I'm wondering if i'm entitled to a refund at all, or if its even possible considering it was three years ago? If yes, whats the easiest way to do this i.e. do i use something like HMRC self assessment online tool? Or mail over specific forms?

Cheers,

Nick.

JRG

Re: 07 Tax Return

Postby JRG » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:25 pm

You can use Form R40 to reclaim overpaid income tax. Good luck with getting any money from HMRC.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Think deadline for lodging claim 5 April 2012.

nikkisizer

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:22 am

Hi Nick,

You cannot use form R40 as this is only for UK residents and as you are not resident in the UK you need to contact HMRC directly.

The deadline is not 05 April 2012 but have you read the press lately concerning HMRC and tax refunds.... Your tax refund could take anything up to end of 2012 to be issued!

I have sent you a PM as to how I can help should you so wish.

Kind regards

maths

Postby maths » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Always willing to learn; what is the deadline?

npjames

Postby npjames » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks for all your responses. I'd forgotten I'd sent them a P85 a couple of years ago. Found the paperwork and rung the HMRC. She said looks like its all done i'll get a cheque sent out in the mail. Rung again to confirm and the request had indeed been sent internally. We'll see if it does turn out that way. Last I remember they requested a P86 but aparently the form doesn't exist any more. I'm definately not waiting at my mail box day in day out for a shiny cheque any time soon. But if I do receive any payment it'll be a bonus. Cheers.

etf

Postby etf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Maths,

I have copied and pasted below a section from HMRC's website, which covers your question to NS regarding the timelimit for Nick to make a repayment claim. Following Nick's latest post it is clear he has already made a repayment claim, but let's assume here he has not.

The tables suggest that for the tax year of Nick's departure (2007/08) your claim deadline of 5 April 2012 is correct:

-if Nick is a self assessment tax payer (it looks unlikely that he falls into this category)

-if Nick is outside of self assessment (although the new rules for these individuals are introduced from 1 April 2012).

When do the new time limits for Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax claims take effect?
There are two different start dates for the time limits:

For Self Assessment taxpayers, the new time limits took effect on 1 April 2010. You are a Self Assessment taxpayer if HMRC gave you notice to complete a Self Assessment tax return in order to declare your liability to Income or Capital Gains Tax within 12 months of the end of the tax year. For example, you are a Self Assessment taxpayer for the tax year 2006-07 if HMRC gave you a notice to complete a Self Assessment tax return for that year before 6 April 2008.
2. For individuals outside the Self Assessment regime, the new time limits for repayment claims take effect on 1 April 2012. This includes people who pay Income Tax on their earnings through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system via their employer, or people whose income is below the tax threshold and who therefore do not pay tax.
What does this mean in practice?
Table one sets out the new deadlines for making claims that will apply to Self Assessment taxpayers.

Table one – Self Assessment taxpayers
Tax year you want to claim tax back
Deadline to make your claim

2006-07 year
5 April 2011

2007-08 year
5 April 2012

2008-09 year
5 April 2013

Table two sets out the deadlines for making claims that will apply to people who are not Self Assessment taxpayers.

Table two - PAYE and other taxpayers outside the Self Assessment system
Tax year you want to claim tax back
Deadline to make your claim

2004-05 year
31 January 2011

2005-06 year
31 January 2012

2006-07 year
31 March 2012

2007-08 year
5 April 2012

2008-09 year
5 April 2013

Kind regards

etf

http://theexpatriatetaxfactory.com

PS I received a PAYE tax refund recently for a client in a similar situation to Nick within a couple of weeks of making a claim. Not typical by any means, especially when security checks are factored in, but HMRC do sometimes meet expectations.

Return to “Income Tax”