This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self assessment and costs paid on behalf of clients

Mitch100
Self assessment and costs paid on behalf of clients

Postby Mitch100 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Dear All

I have what I suspect is a silly questions. But I cannot find the answer on this website or other websites. Apologies if this has in fact been answered before.

My question is:

I have been running a band agency (i.e. a type of service provider) for a few months as a sole trader and I often have to pay costs on behalf of clients for related services from other service providers (e.g. mail forwarding), which I then reclaim from the client. These costs would be classified as a disbursement if I was VAT registered, but I am not VAT registered and this is not the nature of my question.

The issue is I am filling in my first income tax self-assessment form and I do not know how to account for these reclaimed costs. Are they expenses? Are they costs of sale (assume not as not products)? Anything else?

I feel the answer should be obvious but can't work it out. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mitch

nikkisizer

Re: Self assessment and costs paid on behalf of clients

Postby nikkisizer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 am

Hi Mitch,

You would account for these as a cost of sale. Expenses would normally be your own business expenses such as your telephone charges, office rent charges etc.

As you are being re-imbursed by your client though you should enter the figure as part of your income figure then also show it as a cost of sale so the overall effect is zero.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Mitch100

Postby Mitch100 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 am

Thank you for your kind reply, Nikki.

I now understand that when acting as agent for third party services, the cost of providing the client that third party service is a cost of sale in the same way as it would be for a product.

I had been in part put off by the statement on the Business Link website which states 'Cost of sales does not usually apply if you supply a service only'.

Thank you very much

Mitch

nikkisizer

Postby nikkisizer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:37 am

You are most welcome Mitch, if you need any help feel free to contact me

Have a nice weekend!
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

maths

Postby maths » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I suggest the answer depends upon the precise nature of the arrangements.

X contracts with Y re the supply by Y to X of some service.

X then asks Z to pay Y and X then reimburses Z.

Neither the cost incurred by Z nor the reimbursement to Z is part of Z's income/expenses for tax purposes.

If X asks Z to contracts with Y as X's agent then again neither the amount paid by Z to Y nor the amount paid by X to Z is income/expenses of Z for tax purposes.

Under neither of the above scenarios is Z for tax purposes a principal contracting party; their income is for example a commission charged to X for the provision of their involvement.

Return to “Income Tax”