This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advice required

Advice required

Postby 170872 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 am

I wonder if someone can advise me regarding minimum NI payment for pension contribution to quality for state pension purposes. I been out of the country since last year april due to my fathers ill health and I wouldn't want to miss my statutory right for pension purposes. Is there anything I can do so that I don't break the qualifying years. I believe i need to contribute for 30years to qualify. I anticipate to be back in the UK next year 2013 March.

I was in the UK for the past 12 years and have been working full-time and have contributed NI & Tax. Also., I still have a small stream of income coming in about 140GBP per month for some consultancy work i do from abroad for 2 UK clients.

Can, I register for self-employment and pay Class 4 NI??? Please advise if this is sufficient

Many thanks in anticipation to get a reply

Thanks

King_Maker

Re: Advice required

Postby King_Maker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:55 am

You can make voluntary Class 3 NI contributions, if advantageous.

Have you contacted the Contributions Agency to confirm your payment history etc?

Libby2001

Postby Libby2001 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi

I just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

I am 62 yrs old and have worked since I was 15.

When it came time for my pension they told me that I was short. I said how could I be short I had worked since I was 15 to 62 with three years off when having my children.

They told me that because my children were born in 1972and 1973 that was the reason because my stamp didnt get paid I had to pay £36 to get my full entitlement. I was disgusted and am still angry some 2 yrs down the line.

But dont worry because a friend of mine never paid a full stamp all her married life and what she was short she claimed in pension credits.

Sorry dont get me started on pension credits.

mullet

Postby mullet » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 pm

I had to pay £36 to get my full entitlement. I was disgusted and am still angry some 2 yrs down the line.
I don't understand. There was a gap in your record, you paid £36, you now have full entitlement ... what is the problem?

Libby2001

Postby Libby2001 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Mullet what do you mean what is the problem. You nasty person. My point is I worked 45 yrs minus 3 = 42 yrs of full national insurance and tax.

If and when you get to be an OAP I hope you get nothing!!!

mullet

Postby mullet » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 pm

There is nothing nasty about my post - I merely asked what the problem is. You seem too angry over something so trivial. And I did not deserve your spiteful words "If and when you get to be an OAP I hope you get nothing!!!"

So did it cost you £12 per year to "buy back" those three years and gain your full pension entitlement? What am I missing here?

Generix

Postby Generix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Mullet what do you mean what is the problem. You nasty person. My point is I worked 45 yrs minus 3 = 42 yrs of full national insurance and tax.
Am I right in thinking you put nothing else aside in a private pension or investment / savings during those 42 years of work?

Am I also right in thinking you have paid £36 to resolve the issue in full?

Assuming so, I also don't understand what the issue is?
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Mullet what do you mean what is the problem. You nasty person.
Disgraceful.
I wonder if someone can advise
That'd be free advice I take it. If it means that much to you then perhaps you should pay for professional advice. Could this be why you are so angry?
they told me that I was short

MrPAYE

Postby MrPAYE » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Sorry, but I just laughed out loud when I read this post !! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Clearly the poster has "issues". Made my day though :lol:

section 44

Postby section 44 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 pm

I can almost feel the venom through my PC monitor although I am struggling to picture an OAP (with two years worth of rage built up) coming out with a spiteful comment such as this, which wouldn't seem out of place in a playground:
At least she held back with a fourth (or more!) exclamation mark.

Perhaps a rant page is called for? There's plenty of posts that could be redirected there.

Return to “Income Tax”