This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC activation key and self assessment

HMRC activation key and self assessment

Postby 170872 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm

I have two questions and would appreciate if some one can advice

I have a friend who has invested in a partnership in the UK but living abroad in colombo. I have just helped him to register for HMRC online and I was told that the activation pin will take around 10 days to reach him in colombo. He has to file his tax return 31 January 2013.

Is there anyway that he can get this activation pin online quicker instead of by post? In the worst case scenario- if he doesn't get on time can he purchase a commercial software and file his tax return online?

Secondly, how about NI when he complete his tax return? does he have to pay class 4 NIC on the taxable income?? My understanding is as a non-resident he is not required to pay UK NI. Just the tax. Am i correct??

Thank in advance for your advices

Happy New Year

pawncob

Re: HMRC activation key and self assessment

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 pm

There's no way to speed it up. The key is required to log on and enter info.

If he's in Colombo, isn't he a sleeping partner?(and therefor exempt from Class 4).
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Postby 170872 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you for your reply Pawncob.

One more last question please. Can he use a commercial software to file his tax return in the UK (taxable income in UK?) if the activation pin does not arrive on time?

He is a sleeping partner in a partnership where he has 50% share of profit.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 am

He can use any software, including the HMRC stuff, but without the key he can't access the site.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”