This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS4 tax refund

Jack1
CIS4 tax refund

Postby Jack1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 am

Hi.

First of all, I am an EU national. During summer months (May-September) of 2008, I took a couple of jobs in the UK. Altogether, I made around £3000.

Now, I want to apply for my tax refund. I have all P45s from my employers. However, one company which I worked for only about 2 weeks, gave me a paper titled "CIS4 Payment from *company*". I worked for them for 100 hours, £6 an hour. They gave £400, and the rest was a tax. The document describes this amount of money as "CIS Tax Deducted @ 30% From Labour".

As I find applying for the tax refund using P45s pretty easy, I could use some help regarding CIS4.

Thank you in advance.

pawncob

Re: CIS4 tax refund

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

They should have paid you £420, not £400. (30%*600)
Send the CIS deduction certificate to HMRC with your P45s etc. (Keep a copy) and they'll refund the tax.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

zabel

Postby zabel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 am

I am the original poster of this thread (forgot the password) and have a few more questions:
1. Can I send the copy of CIS deduction certificate?
2. Can I send a P60 if I lost (or wasn't given) a P45 for one of the employers?
3. Should I send P91 - Employment Record?
4. (might be a little bit stupid) Can I print and send pdfs from the HMRC site, or should I use only originals?
5. Should I send additional forms, other than P50 and P80?

Thank you!

mullet

Postby mullet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

1. Send the original and keep a copy.
2. If you were given a P45 you should not have received a P60 from that employment. But if you received a P60 instead of a P45 then yes, send that.
3. You generally send a P91 if HMRC send you one for completion. But there is no harm in sending HMRC your employment history either in letter form or on the P91.
4. Do you mean PDFs of P45/P60? No, you should not print them to complete them yourself. But if you mean P91 then yes you can use that form to provide information.
5. Only if asked by HMRC.

zabel

Postby zabel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am

Thank you for your time.

I have additional question regarding #1. What if I lost it and have just a copy/scan ready to print? Is it ok? :)

zabel

Postby zabel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Send the CIS deduction certificate to HMRC with your P45s etc.
Do you mean the document sent to me by my employer (titled "CIS4 Payment from *company*") or this one: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/cis-paymen ... tement.pdf ? In the latter case, I don't know "Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR)", "Verification Number" and other things.

Thanks.

mullet

Postby mullet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 pm

I have additional question regarding #1. What if I lost it and have just a copy/scan ready to print? Is it ok? :)
It should be ok. Send it in with a covering letter, they should be able to verify it from their internal records.

zabel

Postby zabel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 pm

It should be ok. Send it in with a covering letter, they should be able to verify it from their internal records.
Thankfully I found it :)

What about my previous post?
Send the CIS deduction certificate to HMRC with your P45s etc.
Do you mean the document sent to me by my employer (titled "CIS4 Payment from *company*") or this one: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/cis-paymen ... tement.pdf ? In the latter case, I don't know "Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR)", "Verification Number" and other things.

Thanks.

Again, big thanks to you guys!

Return to “Income Tax”