This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

moving to UK from US. -tax liable?

mte
moving to UK from US. -tax liable?

Postby mte » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi, I moved from the US to the UK beginning of September to work here for a UK university. I m swiss and croatian citizen. Do I have to pay income tax in UK for the first tax year? (I m present in UK less than 183 days in the first year). On my payckeck I see that taxes are deducted so if I dont have to pay do I automatically get sth back and do I need to fill out a self assessment? After that, can I pay taxes in switzerland instead of UK? I havent filled out any forms (other the P46) with the tax office, which ones do I have to fill out and how to optimise the situation?

Thanks for your help!

Mte

DavidTreitel

Re: moving to UK from US. -tax liable?

Postby DavidTreitel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 am

This depends on various factors including what you are doing and how long you will be here.

There may also be an impact on your 2012 US return.

david.treitel@americantaxreturns.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”