This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Payments on account and averaging

Brightonian
Payments on account and averaging

Postby Brightonian » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a client, an author, whose profits fluctuate wildly and therefore I have used averaging on a number of occasions. As it happens, the 2012/13 profits are similar to those for 2011/12 and so cannot be averaged. However, he expects his profits to plummet in 2013/14 and has asked me to look at reducing the payments on account for that year. If I estimate using the likely profits of 2013/14, I can reduce them substantially. However, it looks as though I will be averaging 2013/14 with 2012/13 and therefore the averaged profit for 2013/14 will be much higher than the actual. Should I base my reduction calculation on the averaged profits, rather than the actual profits? Or is there a special provision to cover this situation?

Return to “Income Tax”