This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

ISA dividend taxation

larrydavid12
ISA dividend taxation

Postby larrydavid12 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello,

Does dividend income inside an ISA stock and shares wrapper count towards the £31,865 personal dividends allowance?

I take a yearly dividend of £31,865 from my limited company with the 10% tax credit rate. If I receive additional dividend income from stocks within an ISA would I then pay 32.5% on those dividends?

I asked my accountant this and this is what she replied:

"Any UK dividend income would be taxed at the same rate, so if you were to take £7,956 salary plus £30,518.10 net dividends from your Ltd company this tax year, ordinarily this would not incur any tax, however if you were then to earn £100 dividend income from your shares, you would then have some higher rate dividend income which would be taxed at 25% (the actual tax rate would be 32.5% on the gross dividend but after the tax credit is deducted the charge on the net dividend would be 25%)."

If that's the case what's the point of having stocks in an ISA?

AvocadoK

Re: ISA dividend taxation

Postby AvocadoK » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Hello
You are quite right. Dividends from stocks & shares in an ISA are exempt.
If I were you, I would ask the accountant again, stressing that the shares are in an ISA. If they give the same answer, it is time to change accountants!
AK

Return to “Income Tax”