This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New to UK, first filing as self-employed

dimke
New to UK, first filing as self-employed

Postby dimke » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 am

Hello. Since last December I am registered as self-employed in the UK. I have one client in the US and I invoice them monthly or so. From what I can tell from the UK tax system, I don't really get any deductions except the standard, e.g. even if my support my wife who is a graduate student, it is the same as if I was single tax-wise, so it should be a simple filing. I don't really have much business expenses, except some computer/electronic purchases which were small so I am thinking it is better if I don't even try to claim them in order to do the self assessment myself.
Is that a good idea you think? Or should I seek a tax professional (where/how/cost?) to assist with my first filing?

Also, I found out that Greece (originating country) requires that I have a form filmed and "stamped" (they do a lot of stamp seals in Greece) by the revenue service here to avoid double taxation. Is that something the revenue service does? Do I just book an appointment for it? Sorry for asking this last question before calling HMRS, but I just found out, I will call tomorrow any way ;)

Thanks,

Dimitris

nikkisizer

Re: New to UK, first filing as self-employed

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:03 am

Hello Dimitris,

You should claim all allowable business expenses to keep your tax liability (assuming you will have one) to an absolute minimum.

I would advise seeking professional help especially as it is your first filing.

Happy to help so if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “Income Tax”