This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Sole Trader. Living Abroad in the EU.

andycheeseman
UK Sole Trader. Living Abroad in the EU.

Postby andycheeseman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi,

I'm a UK sole trader who is moving abroad to live in Finland. This is a non-permanent move, but longer than a year.

All of my work is with UK clients (film production and graphic design), so I'll be flying into the UK, invoicing and banking in GBP. It's my intention to keep servicing UK clients exclusively. As such, I will be fiscally domicile in the UK.

Am I able to keep filing tax returns in the UK and simply live abroad? Taxation wise. It would avoid a lot of pain trying to send money to Finland and having to deal with two sets of tax systems and double taxation treaties!

Thanks,
Andy.

nikkisizer

Re: UK Sole Trader. Living Abroad in the EU.

Postby nikkisizer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

Am I able to keep filing tax returns in the UK and simply live abroad? Taxation wise. It would avoid a lot of pain trying to send money to Finland and having to deal with two sets of tax systems and double taxation treaties!
Hi Andy,

Whilst you are considered UK resident for tax purposes you will still need to submit annual UK tax returns in respect of your self employment.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

andycheeseman

Postby andycheeseman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for your reply.

Would I still also need to file tax returns in Finland and do the whole double taxation workaround?

Bearing in mind being fiscally domicile in the UK and providing services to the UK only.

Thanks,
Andy.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Andy

If you are controlling a business from Finland then possibly under Article 4 of the Finland - UK Double Tax Treaty as the place of effective management is in Finland you may well have to pay tax on the UK profits

Kind Regards

Sash

andycheeseman

Postby andycheeseman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks Sash. My reading elsewhere indicates you are correct.

Return to “Income Tax”