This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bringing 'profit' forward to use personal tax allowance

Red5
Bringing 'profit' forward to use personal tax allowance

Postby Red5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Let's say I am newly self-employed and have made zero profit or loss in my first tax year, but know I will make £20k profit in the next tax year. I have no other sources of income in either of these years and no previous tax outstanding / owed.

Is it possible to effectively bring £10k of that 'future profit' forwards into the first tax year, in order to make use of my personal tax allowance for the year (with the remaining £10k then covered by the next year's allowance), or do I have to just accept that the first year's personal tax allowance will be wasted?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Many thanks

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Bringing 'profit' forward to use personal tax allowance

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi

You cannot bring the profits forward

Any loss can be carried forward or utilised against previous years taxable income (which includes employment income)

I would suggest you do get the first year accounts reviewed by an accountant as they maybe able to find other trading expenses which can increase your loss which will be to your advantage.

Kind Regards

Sash

bd6759

Re: Bringing 'profit' forward to use personal tax allowance

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:55 pm

When did you start trading, and to what date did you make up your accounts?

Return to “Income Tax”