This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Low earner pension tax relief

Andrew01
Low earner pension tax relief

Postby Andrew01 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:09 am

Hi Group
Been doing some reading online but still confused with the maximum I can pay in to a personal pension and get tax relief on?
1, I am currently a low earner and do not pay income tax, so would my gross pay be the my maximum net personal pension contribution I can make?

I understand that most people that have no income from employment etc.., can pay in a maximum of £2880 net per year into a pension. This £2880 net contribution would receive tax relief at 20% making a gross contribution of £3600, even though the individual may have paid no income tax in the year at all.

It appears I can pay in a maximum of 100% of my "UK relevant earnings"/gross pay and gain tax relief on this pension contribution.

For example, I earn £5000 in a tax year from employment before tax/gross pay, as my earnings are less than my personal tax allowance I pay no income tax. Therefore the maximum I can pay in to a personal pension and gain tax relief on would be a net pension contribution of £5000 (100% of my "UK relevant earnings") made up to a gross £6250 within the pension with 20% tax relief?

More thoughts

When I am over 55 I can then cash in this pension take my 25% tax free lump sum (25% of £6250=£1562.50 assuming no fund growth). The rest of the fund £4687.50 would be liable to income tax if taken as a lump sum, when added to my employment earnings of £5000 my income is still below my personal tax allowance so I would pay no income tax.

The current HMRC tax free pension lump sum recycling rules would currently not be a problem as my tax free lump sum is small £1562.50 (£7500 before any questions are asked in a 12 month period). Net Pension contributions of £2880 or the maximum of my relevant earnings if applicable could be made each year until state pension age or 75 depending on the tax free personal allowance and income received from pensions at the time.

Thanks for reading
Andy.

jason13

Re: Low earner pension tax relief

Postby jason13 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am

For example, I earn £5000 in a tax year from employment before tax/gross pay, as my earnings are less than my personal tax allowance I pay no income tax. Therefore the maximum I can pay in to a personal pension and gain tax relief on would be a net pension contribution of £5000 (100% of my "UK relevant earnings") made up to a gross £6250 within the pension with 20% tax relief
You also have to consider the 20% tax relief you'll receive in the figure. Therefore, you cannot pay in £5000. You can only pay in £4000 and receive £1000 tax relief.

jason13

Postby jason13 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:46 pm

This just came up on another forum, btw: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=5162425

Andrew01

Postby Andrew01 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks Jason
For confirming that the maximum gross pension contribution can only be = to your gross earnings.

Return to “Income Tax”