This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Date of Payment for Tax Year

sigmund
Date of Payment for Tax Year

Postby sigmund » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

I should be grateful if anyone can help with the following. I have a holding in an OIEC fund. The fund distribution payment date for this fund is 1 April 2015. If I do not actually receive the payment into my bank account by my broker until 16 April 2015, do I have to report the distribution on my 2014-15 tax return or my 2015-16 tax return?

Wesram

Re: Date of Payment for Tax Year

Postby Wesram » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi

Pretty sure the relevant date is when you became entitled to the payment (ie 1 April) not when your broker passed payment over....so seems like the income falls in the earlier tax year.

Regards

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you. Presumably this also applies if the broker is using a fund platform. That is, the fund distribution date is 1 April, the fund platform then receives the payment and it takes ten working days before the broker receives it and shows the payment on my account, then it takes three to five days for me actually to receive the cleared funds in my bank account by BACS. For tax year purposes then, will it still be considered that I received the payment on 1 April?

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:08 pm

1 April is the payment date, and the date for tax purposes. It's the only logical choice, or people could exploit the system by choosing not to 'receive' the payment until 2025.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Thank you very much, I could not find an answer to what seemed to be a rather basic question.

Return to “Income Tax”