This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Wrong tax code

teghead1
Wrong tax code

Postby teghead1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Hello, I started work as a Qualified degree Nurse in January this year , every time i get paid my tax code is 0T NOCUM and i am heavily Taxed. I was receiving a bursary for the last 3 years and have not worked until now. Only £4335 was taxable from the bursary My husband receives Carers allowance for our disabled son which was £3200. So overall Taxable pay was £7535 We are married and have three children.. I wrote to tax office but they say tax code of 0T NONCUM is ok untill end of march this year. problem is they are taking lots and lots of tax. When i looked up the code or talk to payroll they tell me i have used up my allowance for last year , but we only recieved £7535 as a taxable income .Could someone explain if this is right, or what it means. Thanks in advance.

nikkisizer

Re: Wrong tax code

Postby nikkisizer » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Hello teghead1,

A tax calculation would need to be carried out at the end of the tax year and if the outcome is that you have overpaid your tax a tax refund can be claimed.

This would be done by submitting form R40 to HMRC.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Wrong tax code

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu May 14, 2015 5:22 pm

R40 is to claim back tax on interest

You have been put on a OT tax code as you didn't have a P45 to give to your new employer

HMRC should send out P800 from June onwards relating to 2014/15 which will details your income and tax paid. Any excess they should receive a cheque within 14 days

If you cannot wait - either write to HMRC with a copy of your P60 or just call them up as they probably can tell from your records if you have overpaid tax

Hope everything works out for you

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Income Tax”