This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on offshore fund (self-assessment)

Tg999
Tax on offshore fund (self-assessment)

Postby Tg999 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi,

First time I've held an offshore fund outside of a tax wrapper - it's the JOHCM Japan Hedged GBP fund. The consolidated tax certificate from iWeb shows a 'gross amount of chargeable payment' of c£100, witholding tax paid as £0, and thus 'net interest paid' also as c£100. As the fund is Ireland-domiciled then this looks correct given they do not charge a witholding tax (albeit they will likely have incurred such tax at the fund level on each dividend received from each Japanese company but I cannot reclaim this).

I was looking where to declare this on my self assessment form and it says you do not need to include under 'foreign income' if it's a TAXED foreign dividend below £300 (and thus instead you put it under the dividends section where you put all your UK dividends). However, as this c£100 has not actually been taxed given witholding tax rate was 0% then does this mean that even though it's below £300 I still need to put it in the foreign income section? And I also see that iWeb are calling it a net interest payment not a net dividend payment which affects where I declare it (i.e. under dividends or interest) and the tax rate - but I'm not sure this is correct as this is stock fund not a bond fund and thus should be dividend not interest income?

I also see that iWeb have my units down as Group II not Group I which would make sense as I bought the fund part way through an accounting period. However, I would also then expect my total payment to be part dividend and part equalisation (as is the case for onshore funds on this certificate) but equalisation shows as £0. Is this something related to offshore funds or because I hold Distribution units rather than Accumulation units?

Thanks

Return to “Income Tax”