This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self assessment

Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Self assessment

Postby rutar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Thank you in advance for your advice.
My mother receives the follow monthly pension:

1) Occupational Pension Gross £1,637 Tax £342 Net £1,295
2) Occupational Pension Gross £427 Tax £85 Net £342 (This is 50% of my late father’s pension
3) State pension £765

I'm presuming she needs to complete a self-assessment re the above?
In addition to the above she also earns rental income.
At what point ie after how much rental income will she start paying 40% tax?

Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Self assessment

Postby nikkisizer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 am

Hello rutar,

If the income from property rental is more than £2,500 a year then yes your Mother will need to register for self assessment is she has not done so already and complete an annual tax return.

Happy to help so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “Income Tax”